Christmas Fruit Cake
Sheila Lovett of White Heather Farm, Kenmare in County Kerry has a wonderful recipe for Christmas Fruit Cake and has kindly shared her delicious secret recipe with us. If you want to make an impression with your cooking skills this Christmas, then this recipe is ideal and so easy to do!!
9 oz plain flour
1 level tsp of mixed spice
12 oz raisins
12 oz sultanas
12 oz currants
2 oz candy peel chopped
3 oz glazed cherries (chopped)
2 oz almonds
8 oz butter
8 oz brown sugar
4 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 tsp black treacle
3 tbs of brandy
* Line 8 inch round baking tin with grease proof paper (at least 3 layers)
* Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and mix them very well
* Pour mixture into the lined cake tin
* Place cake in middle of the oven and bake for 3 hours at 150°C / 300°F / Gas Mark 2
* Then reduce the oven heat to 140°C / 275°F / Gas Mark 1 and bake for approx a further 1-1.5 hours.
* Dip a clean knife down through the centre of the cake and if the knife is dry the cake is done.
* Remove from oven and leave in tin for 10 minutes until cool
* Turn cake out onto a wire tray (carefully) and cover with a clean tea-towel to keep the moisture in.
* Allow the cake stand for about 6 hours and then wrap the cake in grease proof paper and then a layer of tin- foil.
Book a B&B
Posted: 15 Dec 2015 by
Claire Regan |
with 0 comments